Monday, January 21, 2013

NEW BOOKS!!!! *SQUEE*

*happy excited bounces*

Dymmocks, one of the largest book retailers in Australia, was having a sale today. I managed to get away with having only purchased two books (and I will evil eye anyone who think's that isn't anything special).

You see, usually when I go book browsing I purposefully leave my wallet at home and only carry a specified amount of cash on my person, lest I purchase ALL THE THINGS!!! (To give you a better idea of my booklust I tend to either purchase, or borrow from a local library, several books per week.)  But today was one of those random incidences where I was out running errands, wallet in hand, and happened by a book sale. So, given that I managed to control myself to only purchasing two books, both of which were even already on my 'To Read' list, is something to be proud of, IMHO.

The two I purchased today are the Book Thief  and The Arab-Isreali Conflict: A Guide for the Perplexed.



The Book Thief, written by Australian author Mark Zusack, is a tale about a foster girl living just outside of Munich during WWI. Liesel, the young protagonist, cannot resist nicking books. Unable to read in the beginning of the story, she learns to read from her father and shares her stolen books with her neighbors and hidden Jews during bombing raids. As time goes on she begins to steal books from Nazi book burnings, the Mayor's wife's library, and anywhere else she comes across them.

Aside from being a complete bibliophile myself, I'm also intrigued by the author's choice of narrator for the story. You see, the story is told from the point of view of Death... :: surprising and sinister vintage radio music plays now ::




What is the Palestinian-Arab-Israeli conflict? What is the role of the USA in it? How has the media contributed to a polarization of views? What is the importance of Jerusalem? This book endeavours to answer these questions, and many others by explaining clearly, and in an engaging manner, key events and individuals surrounding this conflict.

This is my first experience with a book from Bloomsbury Publishing's 'Guides for the Perplexed' series. The introduction was quite engaging, so we'll see how I find the rest of the piece. I have friends who identify with both sides of the conflicting parties, and I hope this book will give me even more topics to discuss with them. Definitely watch this space for future tidbits about how I'm finding the book.

Ok, I've got my trusty book light (as it is now almost 10pm) and I'm ready to dive in!!! Catch ya'll on the flip side!


Yes, links to the books are attached to my Amazon Associates account. No, you are not obligated to link through. Should you like further details/copy of my disclosure, please go here.








No comments:

Post a Comment